GENERAL CAR RENTAL TERMS
What do you need to rent a vehicle?
- Driving license
- Valid credit card (for the guarantees at pickup/check-out time).
- Be aged 21 or over
Acceptance of terms and conditions
- Please read these Terms and Conditions carefully before using the Web page or booking.
- We recommend that you print and keep a copy of this document.
- These Terms and Conditions supplement the special conditions for each type of product or service offered on the website.
Online Booking Terms and Conditions
- We ask you to read our Online Booking Terms and Conditions, as well as the General Rental Conditions, as you will be asked to confirm that you have read and understood them before your booking can be confirmed.
- If this is your first rental experience, we recommend that you read our Car Rental Guide and other related links for more information.
- If you want to rent a car in a new destination, please read the specific rental terms for that country.
- Following these guidelines will help you understand what you can expect from us:
- Obtain the information necessary to organize your rental and trip.
- Understand what we need from you and complete your booking successfully.
I. Booking details
- We can accept bookings for rental made at least 2 days in advance.
- We can accept bookings for rental made up to 10 months in advance.
Minimum rental period:
- The minimum rental period is 1 day (exceptional hourly rentals may be available in some locations). 1 day is understood to mean a period of 24 hours. Vehicle collection and return is included within this 24-hour period.
- If you rent on a weekend, a minimum of 2 (two) days is required, for all destinations
- Rentals of less than 24 hours will be charged a full day's rate except in those locations where hourly rentals are available. Certain vouchers and promotional rates require a specific minimum to be valid.
Maximum rental duration:
We can accept bookings for a maximum rental duration of 12 months.
The rental quote includes all mandatory charges corresponding to your booking criteria. This quote generally includes the following item:
- Value Added Tax or any other local tax.
- Unlimited Mileage; or if this is not the case, the number of kilometers/miles with the cost of each extra kilometer/mile shall be clearly indicated.
- Premium location surcharge (generally those stations close to airports and train stations have an additional cost, which is not included in the amount paid at the time of booking but at destination).
- Road Tax and Surcharge.
- Third party liability insurance (included).
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW).
- Theft Waiver (THW).
CDW and TW may be merged together in Loss Damage Waiver (LDW).
The excess amount indicates the maximum amount of money the customer is liable for in the event of damage to or theft of the vehicle. This excess amount may be waived in some countries by purchasing optional additional protection at time of rental.
The rates are guaranteed for the rental associated to the confirmed booking.
Additional charges optional to the basic rental:
- Additional Driver charge: when there is more than one driver associated with a rental, the second, or subsequent driver(s) is/are referred to as the additional driver(s). There may be a charge applied for each, or all, additional drivers.
- Young Driver surcharge: visit the section "Insurance and Protections".
- Premium Location / Airport / Railway Station Charge: This is an additional charge which applies at certain central-city, airport, or railway locations.
- Any additional equipment: please review our section Special/Additional Car Equipment.
- After hour service: If you pick up or return the car outside the normal business hours, some countries may bill "after hour service". Please check at reservation and/or rental time.
- Full tank option: in some countries, you have the choice of pre-paying your refueling service.
- Damages & Theft: up to the limit of the excess amount if this protection has been subscribed to, otherwise up to the limit of the vehicle's value.
III. Payment Terms / Means of Payment / Deposit
“Book and Pay now" - Online booking - Prepayment (payment at the time of booking):
When opting for "prepaid rate(s)" online, payment of the full estimated amount will be required at the time of booking.
B. Means of payment
Payment can me made using the following means of payment:
Credit cards usually accepted: "American Express", "Diners Club", "MasterCard" and "Visa".
Warning: Payment using credit(s) card(s) is accepted in accordance with the limits authorized by your credit card issuer.
The credit card holder (in case of a prepaid booking) must be identified as the Renter (the "Main driver" on the rental agreement). Such person must present his/her credit card (issued to his/her name) at the time of pickup/check-out.
C. Deposit – Transaction authorization
During the rental:
At time of check-out:
At time of check-out - after confirmation or amendment of the booking details with the customer - the amount required for authorization will be estimated and an electronic authorization from the card holder's issuing bank (the "Deposit") will be requested.
The authorization procedure allows the rental company to assess the final transaction amount and receive the protection of an authorization before the start of the rental period. It confirms that the card holder's bank account is valid and within the available spending limit.
Warning: Amount of deposit depends on the local policy of the check-out location and may vary from one country to another (it is strongly recommended that customers consult the relevant specific terms per country of rental).
From a general perspective it may be underlined that:
- The amount of deposit usually covers:
- Airport charges, after office hours:
- Possible mileage charges;
- Additional equipment and services the customer has selected.
- The amount of deposit stays valid for the length of the rental agreement period. For rental agreements longer than thirty (30) days, a new authorization for the amount estimated for each period will be requested from the cardholder's bank.
- The amount of deposit subject to authorization is expressly mentioned on the rental agreement.
At the time of check-in:
If the final amount charged for the car rental services rendered is below the authorization amount at time of check-out then an additional authorization shall be requested.
VI. Qualification at time of rental: Documentation & Age Limit
The price of the rental includes the cost of compulsory insurance for the automobile, and supplementary civil liability insurance and their corresponding taxes. Additionally, the price of rental includes, when appropriate, the Young Driver surcharge applicable to the drivers/renters in the 21-25-30 age range. This price does not include the cost of additional coverage and optional exemptions, which can be expressly purchased by the Renter. If this were the case, the prices charged to the Renter in respect of these items will be added to the total rental price at the time of delivery thereof.